Friday, August 13, 2010

Choo Choo! You're 2!

Up comes the yellow sun! Blue train Thomas starts his run. Those are the first two lines in one of my son's favourite Thomas & Friends books, Blue Train, Green Train. This is the card I made for my son's second birthday which was yesterday. Anyone who has a boy knows how much little boys love Thomas, right? We celebrated on Saturday so yesterday was a bit more relaxing. I told him he could do whatever he wanted (within reason, of course) since it was his special day. I let him eat his breakfast on the couch but when he insisted on riding his bike to pick up his birthday balloon, I suspected there might be trouble. He was getting a mylar Thomas balloon filled with helium and little did I know how big it was going to be. As it turned out, the balloon was about the size of him and his bike combined! He wanted me to tie it to his bike. He was fine for the first 20 feet or so but got upset when the wind started whacking the balloon against his helmet and the ribbon kept getting caught around him. He refused to budge until I removed the balloon. Of course I ended up having to carry it home attached to my own bag, but not before stopping at the park to play (again his choice). This balloon was the bane of my existence until we got home an hour later! LOL Well, my sweetie loves it and that's what matters, right? I hear these things last for up to three weeks. Yikes.

My son has wrecked all the other cards I gave him but he loves this one so much that he has it displayed next to his farm and whenever it falls over, he props it up again! Oh, does that ever make me happy!! You might ask, did he notice the little animals? He did and he was so happy that a little dog was driving the train! SU's Choo Choo set is the first set I bought for someone other than myself. My sweet boy totally deserves to have a stamp set of his own. Of course he can't use it yet but I'm sure he will and I can't wait 'til the day he starts crafting with me! Until then, I'll be making a lot of train-related things that'll make him smile.

On another happy note, I was Heather's Pick for Dawn's On Color Cue {6}! When I started doing Dawn's Color Cue Challenges, I did them just for fun to challenge myself with new colour combinations. I was completely shocked and excited to be one of the picks for Color Cue {6}. Thank you, Heather! Three cheers for me. Hip Hip Hooray! Now I really can't wait for my very first set of Wplus9 stamps, Magical Moments, to arrive in the mail. ;)

Sources: SU Wild Wasabi & Whisper White cardstock; GinaK 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; SU Choo Choo; SU Right on Track; PTI Tiny Treats: Valentine; PTI Up, Up & Away; PTI Birthday Basics; SU Summer Sun, Basic Grey, Tangerine Tango, Wild Wasabi, Ballet Blue & Crumb Cake inks; Versafine Smokey Grey ink; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Copics; Glue Dots pop up relief

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Congrats on your Colour Cue pick! What a perfect card for a two-year old boy. My nephew was utterly addicted to Thomas (and James, and Percy, and Emily, and...) from I think birth till he was about four. So I'm sure this set will see LOTS of ink!

Angela said...

Every boy loves a train (even the big ones!). Your card is adorable, and I'm not at all surprised that it's earned a place of honor :)
Congrats on the Color Cue win! The unexpected ones are always the best. Maybe I'll play along next time -- their stamps sure are cute.
Gearing up for the challenges (supposedly) coming our way tomorrow!

G Peplow said...

Congrats Emily, well deserved reward at Colour Cue, it was a great card:), So glad your son had a good birthday, love the train card:) xx

Meg said...

Oh, Emily, this is soooo stinkin' cute!! I love the PTI animals peeking out of the train!! Of course he's smart enough not to mess this one up!

Congrats on your Color Cue win, too! Definitely well-deserved!

Sunghee said...

This is so cute! Love how you added the animals! Brilliant as always! And congrats!!! Oh~, and happy belated birthday to your son!

Alex said...

Love this card with the cute animals inside. I might have to case this one, if that's okay with you?

Thanks for sharing.

Alex from England x