Sunday, October 17, 2010

Color Cue {9} Challenge

Hello, I'm back with another colour challenge card! This time it's for Wplus9's Color Cue {9}. Dawn chose soft, soothing colours (shown at left), one of which is pink since October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. When I first saw this combination, I was all ooohs and aaahs but then my heart sank a little because I didn't have anything in pale pink. But wait! Or did I? I did! You'd be hard pressed to find purple in my stash and light pink would be the next scarcest colour. I happily remembered that I had light pink ink and matching ribbon which meant that was enough to play! Oh, happy day.

First I created a wreath (medallion or flower) by inking several flowers from Magical Moments, cut them out and glued them together. If you've seen some of my cards using wreaths or making things into wreaths that weren't originally, you might think that I have a little obsession. ;) I didn't like the empty space in the middle so I decided to create a bottom layer using the square background image. I added a bunch of bling, not because it needed it but because I felt like it. Since I was in a fancy mood, I decided to try this style of ribbon embellishment for the first time and, boy, was it difficult. Others make it look so easy! I had to redo the ribbon a few times before I got it to look half decent. It's not my favourite part of this card and neither is the stitching but it'll have to do. I do love the overall outcome though. ;)

Sources: GinaK 120lb pure luxury White cardstock; SU Basic Gray cardstock; Wplus9 Magical Moments; SU Basic Gray & Pink Pirouette inks; SU Whisper White; PSX Snowflake embossing tinsel; Hobby Hot Boss; Forever in Time rhinestone stickers; SU Basic Rhinestones; Stampin' Dimensionals; Glue Dots pop up relief; Scor-Tape; SU Pink Pirouette 5/8" striped grosgrain ribbon; Gutermann white thread; sewing machine; SU 1-3/8" circle punch

10 comments:

Meg said...

Great card, Em! Love the flower/wreath, especially with that fun bling!

I've tried this ribbon treatment, too, and I find it really hard to be random on purpose. I think your results look fine!

I'm with you on your lack of love of purple, but no pale pink makes me sad. Although I was just perusing Clinton Kelly's new "Top 100 style mistakes" and he said I shouldn't wear pale pink, so maybe you're just very stylish! He also said I shouldn't wear cartoon characters, but I will still continue to wear my Mickey watches, so take that, Clinton!

G Peplow said...

Hello there Emily, love the effect that the ribbon gives to this very pretty card, how did you fix the ribbon whilst you were sticking it to the card? Love the shape and the colours are fab, good luck with the challenge and it was so worth the effort that you put in :0) xx

Karen B. said...

Beautiful and so very creative with the stamp set! You always seem to push the bounds and it is very refreshing and inspiring to see.

Angela said...

Well, I think that ribbon treatment, tricky though it was, looks super-cool! And I love pink with grey, mostly because it reminds me of third grade, when the cool girl in class (not me) had a pink and grey bike -- it was so cute! Just like your card.

Off to see what Clinton has to say about my wardrobe.... :)

Jennifer said...

LOVE the ribbon and color combo!! Great card!!!(=

Lindsey said...

First off, love the wreath you created... and what do you mean, it didn't _need_ the bling! Second, I'm so glad you went with gray vs. black -- it's a perfect choice for this card. And then, the ribbon! Did you run a stitch through the ribbon and gather it, or is that ruffling actually freehand? Either way, it looks great. (Here I was, all proud because I have a matching ink and paper, and you have matching ink and RIBBON!) :P

Unknown said...

LOVELY!

Alice said...

this is so pretty. love how you made the medallion . wonderful card!

Elise said...

Hello, lovely one! So sorry it took me so unbelievably long to get over HERE! Your work with THESE colors was NOT TO BE MISSED! So better late than NEVER! Tee hee I'm SO impressed with your bold use of the gray tone and your inventive use of the Magical Moments collection {that one was made for you, me thinks! :o)} Thanks, YET AGAIN, for being such a wonderful supporter of W9, and generously sharing your talent, again and again! {YOU rock, sweet Emily!}

Dawn said...

Oh...look at you creative one! Amazing work as always Emily. ;o)

Thanks for playing along with us at Wplus9!